How much does underpinning cost?
If you’ve discovered subsidence in your home, one of the first things you’ve probably wondered is how much remediation methods, such as underpinning, will cost you.
When calculating the price of underpinning for a residential home, the numbers can quickly go up, but the good news is that Mainmark’s more modern alternatives, resin- and cementitious grout-injection techniques, may also be suitable for saving your home and saving you money.
Depending on the method used, underpinning costs can vary. Here are some rough estimates for subsidence treatment for an average three-bedroom terraced house*:
- Underpinning – mass concrete: £13,000
- Underpinning – piling: £23,000
- Mainmark’s resin injection: £7,500
*The above costs are averages, based on October 2023 prices and are for comparable like-for-like results.
Of course, there are additional underpinning costs to consider, particularly with the more disruptive mass concrete or piling methods:
- Inspections, surveys and building control applications
- Potential legal fees for party wall agreements if you live in an attached or semi-detached property
- Accommodation for your family while the work is carried out
- Re-landscaping around your home after the underpinning is complete
- The disruption to your everyday family life
Mainmark’s technologies help you to avoid the majority of these extra costs. Since the work is carried out quickly and with minimal disruption, this minimises the expense, as well as the stress and inconvenience.
How to reduce underpinning costs
How Mainmark helps to avoid high underpinning costs
Traditional underpinning costs are high because mass concrete and piling are messy projects that involve digging out the ground from under the foundations of your home. Mainmark’s Teretek® and JOG computer-controlled grouting techniques for dealing with subsidence take a much less invasive – and much more cost-effective – approach.
Our ground engineers will drill small holes (about 16mm in diameter) to the ground under your home’s foundations, and sometimes the floors, and then inject our proprietary resin or grout formulations. The technologies can:
● Fill the voids in the soil underneath your home – Helping to support the foundation
● Gently lift the house – Bringing your home back to level
● Improve the soil – Increasing ground load-bearing capacity and mitigating liquefaction under your home.
The process is quick and unintrusive and can often be completed in a day, and there’s no need for your family to vacate your home while work is being carried out.
Once the project is completed, minor repairs may be necessary, such as filling in any holes drilled in the floor and repairing any cracks or other damage caused by the subsidence.
Mainmark technologies that reduce the costs of subsidence treatment
Teretek® – Subsidence remediation through resin injection
- Teretek® is an engineered solution for ground improvement and re-levelling subsided residential homes, using a plural component, expanding polyurethane resin. Teretek® works in a way similar to keyhole surgery. Small holes are drilled under the foundation in order for Mainmark’s proprietary, environmentally inert resin to be injected under the house foundation, improving the stability of the ground and re-levelling the home.
Subsidence remediation with JOG computer-controlled grouting
- JOG computer-controlled grouting is a multi-point injection technique. This technology typically uses cementitious grout to re-level structures, including residential homes. This means that cementitious grout is injected under the foundations of your home, using computers to accurately control the injection amounts in the various predetermined locations.
Mainmark technology benefits
Benefits of Mainmark’s subsidence treatments and reducing underpinning costs
Our technologies are installed quickly and can be walked on soon after.
We use safe materials that are non-toxic and do not leach into the environment or affect the treated area.
Our solutions are surgical in nature, causing minimal disruption to you or your family.
Compared to other solutions, our technologies cost significantly less.
We’re happy to have helped
Your guys did an excellent and tidy job despite some unusual ground conditions.
Graham, Consulting Engineer, Swindon, UK
We had confidence in the resin injection solution proposed by Mainmark from start to finish and it delivered exactly what Mainmark had promised based upon their detailed surveys and analysis.
Nathanael, Head of Purchasing, Cork, Ireland
Soil stabilisation FAQ’s
What happens with unlevel driveways, floors and hardstand areas?
After the application of the Mainmark solution, unlevel surfaces will become aligned again as the ground underneath is strengthened and re-supported. Simple cosmetic repairs may be required.
Will there be a mess?
Very little, if any. We use Teretek® engineered Resin Injection technology, which is likened to “keyhole surgery”, or JOG Computer-Controlled Grouting, with no major excavation and minimal disruption or mess. The injection holes required are very small.
How long does it take?
Each project is different and depends on the required amount of lift, area for correction, building construction, and ground conditions. Most projects can be completed in a day or two, and we can work at night or on one area at a time, so your business can keep operating.
Do i need to send my workers home?
No, most projects don’t require you to vacate the premises or even move furniture or equipment. For the most part, you can keep operating as normal. Driveways can often be driven on in as little as 30 minutes after treatment.
What warranty will I get?
The materials we use have been developed for use underground and have been specifically engineered to resist shrinkage and deterioration. Teretek® is warranted by Mainmark for an industry-leading period of 20 years.
Is it safe and environmentally friendly?
Injected Teretek® and JOG materials are environmentally inert and have no detrimental effects on the environment.
Featured Case Studies
Get a quote
Arrange a site assessment in 3 simple steps:
Submit your enquiry using our online form. Include a brief message about the type of foundation issues you are experiencing.
Our friendly customer service team will be in touch to schedule a site assessment that suits you.
One of the Mainmark experts will visit your home or property, assess the damage, and ascertain the likely cause. They will establish the approach needed, creating a plan specific to the needs of your building and provide you with a detailed quote.
© 2023 The Mainmark group of companies. ‘Mainmark®’, ‘Terefil®’, ‘Terefirm®’ and ‘Teretek®’ are trademarks of the Mainmark group of companies.
Mainmark Ground Engineering (UK) Ltd.